VACUUMING TIPSRead up on how to vacuum the most effectively
Proper vacuuming is the most important step to keeping your carpet clean and in good shape. This means investing in a good vacuum cleaner is extremely important. You probably knew that vacuuming kept your floors clean, but did you know it also can have the largest impact on the air you breathe? Your carpets can trap dust and allergens and release them everyone someone walks on your floor. Plus, by vacuuming up loose soil before it sinks deep into the carpet pile, you also help preserve the cushiness and cleanliness of your carpet. Vacuuming your carpets has tons of benefits, so it’s important to do it frequently and correctly. Here’s a little refresher from Chem-Dry of Santa Clarita Valley on some helpful vacuuming techniques you could even teach your kids so that vacuuming always gets done the right way!
How to Vacuum
- Don’t forget those corners and crevices where dust builds. There are attachments that help you get hard to reach crevices, so be sure to use them.
- “Top-down” cleaning saves you the step of vacuuming again after dusting. Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first and then vacuum away any fallen dust.
- Remember to remove and replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full. Don’t risk your vacuum getting too full and leaking all over the carpets you just cleaned.
Understanding the Attachments
Have you ever wondered what all of those different nosels are for that come with your vacuum? Attachments allow vacuums to do more than just clean carpets. They can tackle many other projects, such as cleaning bookshelves and other items that tend to collect dust. Your particular vacuum may feature some of the following attachments:
- The all-purpose or universal brush works well on books and shelves.
- The crevice tool (long and thin) reaches into narrow slots and corners.
- The dusting brush details items that need a softer touch.
- The radiator brush cleans radiators and narrow spaces.
- The upholstery nozzle is good for vacuuming chairs, sofas, cushions, drapes, mattresses, and fabric furniture covers.
Make sure to use these different attachments to your advantage. Being able to get into those hard to reach areas with your vacuum will help keep them cleaner, providing less dirt and dust to start collecting in your carpet.
As a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a CRI Seal of Approval/Green Label vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum. The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.
Vacuum Care Tips
For the best cleaning results, periodically inspect your vacuum to keep it in tiptop shape and functioning properly using these tips:
- Keep the instructions that came with your vacuum and refer to them periodically.
- Keep hoses and attachments free from obstructions. Most vacuums that are discarded as nonfunctional often are only clogged somewhere in the unit. Learn where these likely places are from the manufacturer’s instructions and make sure to clean them out.
- Grip the handle, not the hose.
- Keep brushes clean (for example, remove tangled hair) and replace them when worn. Typically, worn brushes are stiff, and they cause surface texture change on your carpet.
- Empty containers or replace bags when half full to prevent spills.
- Look for rough edges or bent metal on your machine that can snag carpet.
Call in the Experts
Using these tips, there is a lot of carpet care that you can do on your own. However, just vacuuming isn’t enough to keep your carpet healthy. You should call in a professional cleaner like Chem-Dry of Santa Clarita Valley about every 6-12 months for best results!
We provide superior residential and commercial carpet and upholstery cleaning services throughout the Santa Clarita Valley, CA area including: Santa Clarita, Newhall, Canyon County, Valencia, Stevenson Ranch, Castaic and the surrounding areas.
20230 Summit View Drive.
Canyon Country, CA 91351